As we confront the ramifications of the coronavirus, we also have to consider the overall state of healthcare. [We will have a post on the coronavirus in the near future. We’ve been waiting to get more clarity, rather than make comments based on conjecture.]
Sometimes, when we’re feeling let down by the health care system, we need to also read about good news. Thus, today’s post: Best Health News Stories of the 2010s.
According to 24/7 Wall St., here are 15 of the top health news stories of the past decade, MOSTLY good:
“The 2010s will go down in history as a decade of many newsworthy health-related stories, many of which are not good news — Ebola, measles, antibiotic resistance. But the years since 2010 were not all bad. Many good things happened, too, and some of them will have a lasting effect for generations to come. 24/7 Tempo went through multiple news archives. We read dozens of articles published since 2010 and selected 15 of the most positive health news that made headlines.”
“Some of the most talked about stories over the last few years have influenced health guidelines, treatment of serious disease, and even government policy. Reports of significant research developments in the treatment and prevention of chronic and other conditions gave hope to millions of Americans. Some of the good news broke as recently just a few months ago .”
Here are the 15 – in chronological order from earliest to latest. Click the link above to read a lot more.
- CT scans in high risk patients to reduce overall lung cancer mortality
- Melanoma drug approved
- Gene editing now possible
- FDA reports trans fat should not be considered ‘safe’
- HIV prevention pill
- New way to treat cavities
- 3D printing of human organs
- Immunotherapy and cancer
- Opioid crisis recognized as national public health emergency
- Early-stage Alzheimer’s treatment
- Smoking rates at all-time low
- Cystic fibrosis treatment approved by FDA
- Second HIV patient goes into remission
- Blood test detects breast cancer 5 years early
- Finding a cure for arthritis
Unfortunately, the one negative story out of the 15 involves the opioid epidemic.